A permanent resident returning to Canada must show a valid Permanent Resident Card or travel documents before boarding a plane, bus, boat or train. The travel document application is for permanent residents outside of Canada who need proof of their status so that they can return to Canada. The application is made in case you have lost your documents showing your permanent resident status.