Intra Company Transfer
The Intra Company Transfer is part of the international mobility program which allows global companies to transfer employees to a Canadian branch. These employees on their end can use that experience to apply for permanent residency.
As an international company with several subsidiaries, branches, or affiliates, it is very common to transfer top-tier employees so they can share their expertise and knowledge. Another benefit for the employer is that they are exempt from obtaining a labour market impact assessment since they provide significant economic benefit to Canada through the transfer of their expertise to Canadian businesses. For Canada, it is an opportunity to retain those skilled workers, which is why the transferees have the option to become PR.
To qualify for ICT, your job scope must fall under 1 of these 3 categories
Being an executive means that the employee can
• Manage the organization or a major component or function of the organization;
• Establish the goals and policies of the organization, component, or function
• Take important or crucial decisions for the company
• receives only general supervision or direction from higher-level executives, the board of directors, or stockholders of the organization
2- Senior manager
To be deemed senior manager, the employee must be able to:
• manage the organization, a department, or a component of the organization;
• supervise and control other workers of
• Hire and fire, or recommend these and other personnel actions, such as promotion and leave authorization
3- Specialized knowledge
Specialized knowledge means either special knowledge possessed by an individual or an advanced level of knowledge or expertise in the organization’s processes. For example, an IT person working in advanced cyber security can be categorized as specialized knowledge
General requirements – Transferee
• You are currently employed by a multi-national and seeking entry to work in a parent, a subsidiary, a branch, or an affiliate of that company
• You are being transferred to an executive, senior managerial, or specialized knowledge capacity position
• You have been employed continuously by the company that plans to transfer you for at least one year.
• You are coming to Canada for a temporary period only
• You must comply with all other immigration requirements for temporary entry.
If all the requirements are met, you will be granted a work permit for a period of 1 year up to 7 years. If you are married and have children, they will also be eligible to join you in this journey. Your spouse will be granted an open work permit, and your children will be able to attend school for free.
Requirements for employer
• The company must secure physical premises to house the Canadian operation, or if the company is already established show realistic plans of how the operations are going
• The company must have the financial ability to commence business in Canada and compensate employees.
• When transferring executives or managers, the company must demonstrate that it is large enough to support executive or management functions.
• In the context of a recent corporate acquisition or merger, it is not a requirement that the applicant has been worked for the named sending company for a year provided that the applicant has been working for one of the affiliates for at least one year in the previous three years
• Description of the connection between the enterprise in Canada and the multi-national
How do you become a Permanent resident through Intra company transfer?
As an Intra Company Transferee, you can use that work experience to convert it into a PR application, if you wish to live permanently in Canada. You can then apply through either Express Entry or a provincial nominee program.
Our team of experienced Immigration consultants offers expertise in several immigration services such as Express Entry, Spousal sponsorship, Temporary Visa, Super Visa, Study visa, Work Permit, LMIA, PNP, Canadian Citizenship and more.
Our Immigration Consultants provide Canadian Immigration Services to clients all over the world. Based in Mississauga, Ontario, we serve people in Brampton, Toronto, Hamilton, North York, Scarborough, Pickering, Ajax, Guelph, Kitchener, Whitby, London, Vaughan, Hamilton, Markham, Cambridge, Milton, Waterloo, Peterborough, Niagara Falls, Ottawa, Barrie.