Canada Citizenship Applications

Canada citizenship is granted to individuals if they meet certain criteria:

  • Be a permanent resident
  • Have lived in Canada for 3 or the last 5 years or 1095 days
  • Have filed your taxes for the required years preceding your application
  • Provide language skills proof ( English or French)
  • Pass a Citizenship test

Minors (under age 18) can also apply for Canadian citizenship if they have a Canadian parent or a parent who is applying for citizenship at the same time. Additional or different requirements may apply for minors.

You cannot start your Canadian citizenship application if you:

  •  Have never been in Canada in the five (5) years immediately before the date of your application, or since you became a permanent resident, or whichever is most recent
  • Are you On probation in Canada
  • Are you On parole in Canada
  • An inmate of a penitentiary, jail, reformatory, or prison in Canada
  • Are now serving a sentence outside Canada for an offence
  • Are now charged with, on trial for, or subject to or a party to an appeal relating to an offence under the Citizenship Act or an Indictable offence in Canada;
  • Are now charged with, on trial for, or subject to or a party to an appeal relating to an offence committed outside Canada
  • Are now, or have ever been, under a removal order (have been asked by Canadian officials to leave Canada)
  • Are  now under investigation for, charged with, on trial for, subject to or a party to an appeal relating to or have been convicted of a war crime or a crime against humanity
  • Where in the past five (5) years,  prohibited from being granted citizenship or taking the oath of citizenship because of misrepresentation or withholding material circumstances
  • In the past four (4) years, have you been convicted in Canada of an indictable offence under any Act of Parliament of an offence under the Citizenship Act;
  • Where in the past four (4) years,  been convicted outside Canada of an offence, regardless of whether you were pardoned or otherwise granted amnesty for the offence.

While a permanent resident, have you:

  • Been convicted in Canada of terrorism, high treason, treason, or spying offences;
  • Been convicted outside Canada of terrorism;
  • Served as a member of an armed force of a country or organized armed group and that country or group engaged in armed conflict with Canada.

Start your Canadian citizenship application today

For further information.