IRCC has recently announced some good news for international students applying through the student direct stream ( SDS). 4 new language tests have been added to the list of eligible tests for these type of applications. Starting August 10th 2023 , those 4 English tests will be accepted :
- CELPIP General
- PTE Academic
- TOEFL iBT Test
The previous accepted tests IELTS general and academic are still eligible for SDS
What will be the new requirements?
- CAEL and PTE Academic test results must show a minimum score of 60.
- CELPIP must show a minimum of 7 in each section
- TOEFL iBT Test must meet the requirements of minimum 83 points
All tests must also be taken in person. Online test results will not be accepted by IRCC
What do we know about SDS?
Student direct stream or SDS is a program implemented by IRCC to help foreign nationals from 14 countries fast track their study permit application. In normal timelines, most SDS applications are processed in 20 calendar days if the eligibility criteria are met. To benefit from this Immigration program, you must
- Be a legal resident living in 1 of the following countries:
China, India, Morocco, Pakistan, Philippines, Senegal, Vietnam, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Peru, Trinidad and Tobago, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Antigua and Barbuda
- Have an acceptance letter from a post-secondary designated learning institution
- Apply from outside of Canada
- You have paid your tuition fees for your first year of study
- Open Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of CAN$10,000
- Get a medical exam before you apply
- Get a police certificate before you apply
- Have your most recent secondary or post-secondary school transcript(s)
- Have a language test result such as IELTS that shows an academic or general training score of 6.0 or higher in each skill (reading, writing, speaking and listening)
- If you cannot complete the IELTS, you must complete one of the English tests mentioned above.
International students continue to be great assets for the Canadian government in their hope of attracting the most skilled people around the world. Canada is one of the most welcoming countries for international students and creates a clear pathway for them to become permanent residents through Canadian Experience Class. Canada remains a great destination for those students due to its education system, diversity and cultural experience.