Welcome to Canada the land of maples and tons of immigrants from around the world. Canada is known for its hospitality and openness to receiving immigrants. In fact, it has one of the highest immigrant populations in the world! If you’re looking to start your Canadian citizenship application then you’re at the right place!
There are a million reasons why you should become a Canadian citizen right now, from being eligible for more jobs, travelling with a Canadian passport to saying goodbye to the need for an immigration document renewal.
This is why we have put together step-by-step information to help you begin your Canadian citizenship journey!
There are 5 basic steps, but your eligibility will determine if you will need more than these 5.
Canadian citizenship requirements
1. You must be a Permanent Resident: only those who have a permanent residency p can apply to be Canadian citizens.
2. You must have lived in Canada for 3 out of the last 5 years or 1095 days.
3. Pass the citizenship test on your knowledge of your rights, responsibilities, and knowledge of Canada
4. Provide proof you know how to speak one Canadian official language: The two official languages in Canada are English and French. You would have to write an exam to prove that you are highly fluent in one of the languages.
5. Must have filed your taxes in the past 3 years and paid any outstanding income tax: You can’t be a citizen if you’ve not been paying your taxes, you have to be able to show that you will be a model citizen when your application is accepted. So keep a good tax-paying track record.